TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - I called Courtesy Parts...
People Seeking Info

Subject I called Courtesy Parts...

Posted by OverZealous (CT) on June 04, 2014 at 6:49 PM
  This message has been viewed 662 times.

In Reply To Awesome! Where can I find the colors & seal dimensions? posted by OverZealous (CT) on June 04, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Message They told me there used to be 4 different rear seal part numbers for all Z32s which were replace by 2 new and completely different part numbers. I assume the new rear seals not only have a different part number but also new color and offset to the block allowing a different groove to be cut naturally.

In my case the two grooves are about 0.060" apart and one is deeper than the other (I can't measure the depths). I assume one is the original PN grove and the other the new PN grove, but the rear main seal I put in recently only ran 150 miles before leaking -- not 150K or even 1,500 miles. It's hard to imagine that my new rear main seal put a grove in the crank after 150 miles. This implies the rear main seal had already been changed twice before this!

Current options after carefully measuring the current seal offset is either (1) not installing existing seal fully and thereby allowing it to run a third new groove at the RISK of oil coming out of the incomplete installation, (2) install it fully and HOPE the current oil leak is not coming from the rear main but rather an old rear oil seal retainer gasket or (3) PAY AND WAIT to procure a SKF-like speedi-sleeve (video link) and thereby covering both existing grooves.

Your thoughts?

OverZealous (CT)

My General posts (click)
My Technical posts (click)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.